Monday, August 15, 2011

Look Out BFF...Hubby Has Taken Over Blog!


Hey guys…it’s your BFF’s hubby.  I asked the wife if I could share a little something with you all that I realized recently.

As you probably know by now from reading this blog, I am also vegan…I am also a fairly active person.  I have done the Rachel Carson Trail Challenge (a 35 mile in one day hike) every summer for the past 10 years, many other similar extreme hikes, I’ve run full and half marathons, 5k’s, 10k’s…you get the idea.  I was doing these things before I was vegan, and I have continued to do them since I became vegan about two years ago.  I am certainly not the fastest guy (or gal) on the trail, I never was, but that’s not my point……I’m getting there.

BFF adding pictures. This one is Hubby coming off the cargo nets.
So far this summer I’ve done two events, the RCTC and The Ruckus.  The Ruckus is this crazy 4 mile, boot camp style, obstacle course with huge mud pits, 12 foot cargo nets to climb over, and all kinds of fun stuff.  It was awesome!  So typically the only time I “work out” is when I am training for one of these events.  I just don’t make the time unless I have goal…a goal like not embarrassing or hurting myself doing one of these stupid things. 

So I’m finally coming to my point.  I barely had (made) any time to train for the two events I did this summer (you know how it goes, work gets busy, the grass needs to be mowed, you’re just too damn lazy), BUT I still rocked them!  In The Ruckus, I was in the top 30% of my category (which consisted of all males under 45…I’m 34…the kid that won it was like 19 or something…so I was pretty happy with that), and that’s without training!

And I didn’t break any personal records doing Rachel Carson this year, but…my recovery time was almost zero!  I was walking around the next day like nothing happened…again, without training!  That is unheard of for me.

Hubby in the mud.
So I’m sure you’re catching my drift (despite the fact that I lack my better half’s eloquence), being vegan makes you better at sports!…No, I’m just kidding, but I do think that for me, being vegan means that I can perform at a level I was always able to before (if not a little better), and my body is able to recover from the “abuse” at a much faster and more efficient rate.  Man, do I love being vegan!

BTW…just to prove I’m not a complete nut…check out this interview with vegan, professional mixed martial artist (cage fighter), Mac Danzig.  I can’t imagine anything much harder on your body than that……except maybe iron man triathlons

Well, I’ll give you back to your BFF now.  Thanks for letting me hijack your blog, darling, and thanks to you for reading.  Let me know if you want to go for a hike sometime!
Finished and all smiles! Isn't he just the cutest thing?


No comments:

Post a Comment